Ash Gourd Curry Recipe
Ash Gourd is a wonderful low calorie vegetable. It has substantial amount of moisture and it acts as a coolant. Ash gourd curry is best for hot summer afternoon lunches. In Udupi most people grow this vegetable in their garden and use it for cooking. Most parts of this ash gourd are useful in cooking and nothing is wasted. The outer skin/shell can be used in chutney preparation, thick flesh can be used in curry/sambar preparation and topmost soft flesh can be used for Tambli or yogurt curry.
In Udupi the following four varieties of curries are prepared using ash gourd.
Ash gourd sambar using toor daal - Bol Koddel
Ash Gourd Curry RecipeServes-3
Ash gourd- 1 Kg
Toor dal- 1/2 cup
Jaggery- Big lemon sized
Tamarind- Small lemon sized
Green chillies- 2
Curry leaves- 2 strands
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tbsp
Asafoetida- A pinch
Udupi Sambar powder- 3and 1/2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds- 1 tbsp
Urad dal- 1 tbsp
Red chillies- 1
Curry leaves- 1 strand
- Pressure cook toor dal till soft and mushy.
- Peel the skin and cut the thick flesh of pumpkin in to medium sized pieces. Scoop out the seeds and separate the soft flesh. This soft flesh can be used in tambli (curry with yogurt)preparation.
- Add ash gourd pieces in to a cooking pan with enough water to cook. Add turmeric powder, slit green chillies, jaggery, curry leaves and tamarind extract. Once it boils, simmer it and let it cook till the pieces are tender. Add one tbsp Udupi sambar powder as well so that the pieces too can intake the aroma of powder.
- Now add pressure cooked toor dal, salt, asafoetida and remaining sambar powder. Check the consistency of curry, if needed add required amount of water. Bring it to boil.
- Add the seasoning to this ash gourd curry and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice.